Headphones provide the most intimate listening experience out there. This is because you would be able to immerse yourself in the sounds you are hearing and with the best headphones under 100 USD, you won’t have to spend all that much money on this intimate experience either.
A lot of people tend to think that getting good quality sound is a difficult thing to do on a budget. We have started to equate high prices with high quality, and this is because there are so many high-end products out there that are so heavily marketed that you start to feel like only they are the best of the best. Trust me when I say that these products are highly overrated and are not worth your time. You can do a lot better as long as you keep certain things in mind regarding what the best headphones under 100 USD are supposed to be like.
Listed below are some of the most important headphones that are within this price range. By the end of this list, you will have a detailed knowledge of the ins and outs of headphones and will know exactly how you can get the best one possible. But first, you need to learn about what types of headphones are out there so that you can apply this information when you are trying to buy a set that is right for you and your particular usage.
What Type of Headphones Should You Get?
There are a number of different types of headphones out there, and which one you get really depends on your personal preference. These types are as follows:
This refers to headphones that cover the entire ear. If you are into getting a pure and unadulterated sound from your headphones, these are the ones that will help you out. These headphones form a sort of covering on your ear, thus you’ll feel extremely comfortable and you’ll get the purest sound possible, which is certainly going to help you get a sense of what you are listening to.
The only possible disadvantage to these headphones is that they are often prohibitively expensive, as the design costs a great deal of money to make.
These are slightly different from circumaural headphones. They cover your ear, but rather than enclosing your ear in the headphones, you will find that these headphones will press against your ear. This design is a lot more affordable, but one major drawback is that you are not going to get as much comfort while you are wearing them. These headphones can press down on your ear and after a certain period, this can start to hurt.
Hence, if you want to ensure comfort, you should avoid these headphones, but the low price tag should be enough of an incentive for many people, especially if you don’t use your headphones too much.
This is the final type of headphones that depends on the overall shape. Rather than going on your ears, earbuds go in them. This can be really useful because they are just as affordable as on-ear headphones but are a lot more comfortable. This also makes them perfect for outdoor use, as you will find them a lot more stylish and, thus, not as awkward to carry around. They are quite compact as well, which you are going to appreciate if you are usually out and about.
However, the main problem with these headphones is that they are often fragile. The compact design means that they are not going to be as durable as on-ear headphones, so you are going to have to leverage price and durability in this situation and decide what you need more.
These are great if you are the sort of person who hates wires of any kind. With headphones like these, you will be able to simply slip them on and turn on your music. The headphones will detect the frequency being emitted from your phone and convert it into sound. This is a great solution, particularly for situations where an individual is out a lot and not having to deal with wires can be a real boon in public situations.
However, these headphones require you to charge them beforehand as they run on built-in batteries. Hence, if you are out a lot and are often in places where you do not have access to a charging station, you will not be able to use your headphones to their full potential. Additionally, there are certain signal issues that sometimes occur which could hinder your use of these headphones since listening to a song with the audio constantly dropping can be really annoying.
These headphones are particularly useful if you are in locations where there is a lot of noise. Additionally, noise canceling headphones are useful in studios as well, where you would need the purest and clearest sound in order to be able to get the right kind of result and work on your project with ease. The main benefit of these headphones is that you are going to be hearing nothing but the quality of sound of your song or any other audio file you might be using.
One major disadvantage of these headphones is that they are often too expensive. Moreover, you can’t really use them if you have children to take care of because you will never be able to hear anything while you have them on.
Now that you are educated on the various types of headphones, you are probably wondering about what brands you should go for. Listed below are some of the best headphones under $100 that you can get!
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x – Best Headphones Under 100
- This headphone provides a very clear response that is accurate and free of any alterations. If you are looking for a headphone that can provide you with a flat response, this one is perfect for you. This makes the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x a great solution for people who are looking to create some kind of home studio on a budget.
- In particular, while mixing and mastering your songs, this headphone can come in handy because it will allow you to get a clear representation of what effect your mixing is having on the song that you are trying to produce, thus making it easier for you to get the job done.
- This headphone does well in the looks department as well. If you want a set of headphones that look professional or will gel with a certain kind of design scheme that you have in mind, these headphones are great because of their simple, yet elegant design.
- These headphones are not particularly sturdy. They tend to break quite easily.
- The price point can be rather prohibitive if you don’t have a lot of money to spend.
Sony MDR 7506 – Best Selling Headphones Under 100
- One of the most significant benefits of these headphones is that they are not overly bulky. You are not going to have trouble carrying them around because they are so utterly lightweight. This makes them great for people who take their headphones everywhere with them.
- If you are a genuine music listener, you will love how clear the bass is going to sound on these headphones. Bass is the backbone of any song, so being able to listen to it with such clarity makes these headphones a blessing indeed.
- You are also going to find the bass response useful in a studio setting. Setting up a studio can be extremely expensive, but if you use the right tools such as this one, you will not have to spend too much money. Mixing bass is going to be a real dream with these headphones.
- The lightweight nature of these headphones means that they can potentially break if you are not careful with them.
- While these headphones are perfect for a studio listening experience, they are not usable in day-to-day life because they cancel out too much noise. You will not be able to use these at work as they will cut you off from your boss and colleagues. However, it will be perfect when you want to tune out the world.
BÖHM Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- This is one of the best headphones under $100 because it looks so good. Style matters, and having a stylish set of headphones can be the sort of thing that lets you bring your ideal style to life and help you get the most out of your experience.
- These wireless headphones are really convenient because you don’t have to deal with any difficult annoying wires. This makes them a great option for people who want convenience over functionality because you would have to sacrifice one in order to get the other.
- The sound quality of these headphones is also top notch. You get a true stereo experience that will provide you with the most accurate depiction of what the mixing engineer was trying to do while he was hard at work.
- The fact that these are Bluetooth headphones makes compatibility a real issue. If you do not have a compatible phone or computer, these headphones are going to be pretty much useless.
- Sound quality tends to deteriorate in a wireless setting, so you won’t get a high-quality listening experience.
Bluedio R+ Legend – Best Wireless Headphones Under $100
- This is another wireless headset. One of the major aspects of this headset, which makes it one of the best headphones under $100, is the fact that it has such a long battery life. After one full charge, you can use these headphones for over twenty-four hours without having to worry about battery again.
- One major benefit of using these headphones is that they are extremely comfortable. Comfort is of the utmost importance when using headphones because you want to be at ease while you are listening to your tunes.
- The design is also quite stylish, with a mixture of plastic and chrome providing both affordability and a classy look. This headset will go well with any kind of style that you want to try, and it has a great set of colors that you can choose from as well.
- Although a wire is offered, it can be easily lost and there are not a lot of cables out there that can replace it. Hence, you would be left with only the wireless option if you misplace the cable.
- The padding on these headphones can get damaged quite easily. It is soft and comfortable, but even the slightest tear could ruin it completely.
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
- A great benefit of using these headphones is that they are not biased towards any specific frequency. Instead, you will be able to listen to both the high end as well as the low end of every song with ease, and this is going to help you get the most out of your song listening experiences.
- You are also going to get a lot of comfort from these headphones because they are well padded and are made with the finest materials.
- An added advantage of these headphones, one that is actually quite unique, is the fact that you can replace any of the components with ease. The parts are sold separately, making it easy for you to repair broken headphones. These aren’t called the best headphones under $100 for no reason after all!
- While it is true that you would be able to replace any of the components with ease, they tend to be quite fragile, so you will have to spend a fair amount of money on this.
- These headphones aren’t designed to cancel out sound, so you won’t be able to use them in noisy environments.
Grado Prestige Series SR80e
- These are one of the best headphones under $100 as far as sound is concerned. This is because these headphones have been made to an extremely high standard as far as the materials are concerned, with a set of instruments being placed within that reverberate with harmony and complexity, thus offering a brilliant and balanced audio response. You will be hard pressed to find a result like this.
- Another really great thing about these headphones is that they look like they are right out of the sixties. If you are into retro looks, you are going to love these headphones. These are particularly good if you are trying to create a retro look in your room or studio as they would blend right in.
- One thing that allows these headphones to stay under $100 is the fact that they are on-ear headphones. Though they can be uncomfortable at times, you will have far better functionality than you will be able to get with other headphones at the same price.
- These headphones can get really uncomfortable, so they are not at all suitable for long-term use as your ears will start to hurt.
- The fact that these headphones are based on 60s-era technology means that they can give the audio quality a very low-fi feel, which you are certainly not going to appreciate.
Sennheiser HD 429
- If you love bass or listen to music where the bass is really important and plays a critical role, these headphones are great for you. This is because they offer you the chance to hear the bass in all its glory. This headphone is one of the best headphones under $100 because of the importance it gives to bass, along with the fact that you are going to get a very high-end result while you are listening to bass-heavy songs.
- In addition to this, these are circumaural earphones, which means that they cover up your ear entirely without pressing against it. This is a very important benefit as it will greatly increase the level of comfort you will get while using these headphones.
- These headphones are also quite durable which will provide you with a great deal of longevity after you have bought them.
- While these headphones are great for listening to bass, they tend to cut the higher frequencies out, which will negatively impact your listening experience.
AKG K 240 MK II Stereo Studio Headphones
- The solid construction of these headphones might make them a bit bulky, but the fact is that you are going to love how durable these things are. The best headphones under $100 need to provide some level of longevity or else there really is no point in buying them, so the fact that you are getting so much durability from these headphones should tell you just how great they are.
- The sound you are going to get from these headphones is also phenomenal. You will find that there are a number of unique details in songs that you might have missed had you not been using headphones this good, and this will help you get the maximum amount of enjoyment possible while listening to your favorite songs.
- These headphones are too bulky for everyday use. Not only do they look awkward if you have them on in public, but they are also heavy enough to become uncomfortable after extended use.
- These headphones are generally made for studio use where sound can be externally amplified, so if you are using them with a music player or phone, you will not get the same level of loudness.
Audio-Technica ATH-M30X – Best Affordable Headphones
- A sure sign that these are some of the best headphones under $100 is the fact that you have such a solid driver that you can use while the headphones are on. This boosts the bass response and helps make up for any lack of lows that you might have experienced otherwise. It is important to note just how useful such a thing can be in the long run. If you are looking for a high bass response headset, you have found it right here and you will not have to worry about getting a new one anytime soon.
- This headphone manages to remain lightweight and durable at the same time. This is because of the high-quality plastic that has been used which is not only resistant to damage but manages to not be heavy at the same time.
- These headphones have an extra-long cable which can get tangled up and damaged if you are not careful. This cable can also be a real nuisance and will prevent these headphones from proving useful for your everyday listening needs.
Sol Republic 1211-02
- These are some of the most fashionable and best headphones under $100 that you can get! The style of these headphones is truly top notch and you’ll get a great deal of benefit from it in the long run. If you want to ensure that you don’t need to worry about how you look while you have your headphones on, these are a great option for you.
- Another added benefit you are going to get with these headphones is the mic that you can use. This mic is of a very high quality and will be able to accurately project the sounds you are trying to create. Therefore, if you are the sort of person who video chats a lot, these headphones will help you out a great deal in this department.
- In addition, these headphones are compatible with a wide range of devices which makes it very convenient for someone who switches phones a lot and wants something compatible with everything.
- These headphones can be extremely fragile, so if you are not careful, you should avoid this product as it can get damaged easily.
- While these headphones are stylish, they do not provide good sound quality which will negatively impact your music listening experience.
Should You Use Headphones at Work?
This is a question that a lot of people ask. Do headphones impact productivity? If so, is this impact negative or positive? It is important to keep these things in mind because without them, you are not going to be able to properly understand whether or not you should do such a thing and what kind of headphones you should even buy. Much like everything else, there are pros and cons to using headphones at work. Listed below are both the positive and negative aspects of using headphones in the office or while you are working on something.
- Improves concentration: Some people can find it a little difficult to work in an office because there are so many distractions. By using headphones, you can block out the outside world so that you can focus solely on the task at hand.
- Inspires creativity: If you are experiencing some difficulty tackling a task, using headphones to listen to some music can help spark the creativity necessary to allow you to overcome your obstacles. By listening to music, you can open your mind up to new experiences and ideas and help yourself think outside the box.
- Helps kill time: If you don’t have a lot to do at work, using headphones can allow you to spend your time doing something vaguely productive instead of just lazing about and doing nothing.
- Helps respect your colleagues’ space: When you work in an office, it is your responsibility to do things that are not going to distract or annoy your colleagues. Hence, it is important to use headphones because this will allow you to watch or listen to anything you want without disturbing anyone who might be working alongside you.
- Isolation: If you have headphones on, you might not be able to respond to questions posed by your superiors as quickly as you would have been able to otherwise. This makes it quite difficult for you to get on your boss’s good side. Hence, if you want to make sure that you are always available should your boss call you, lose the headphones.
- Against the rules: In a lot of offices, using headphones during work hours is considered unprofessional and thus, your boss might take umbrage with it. Disobeying the rules is something for which you can get you a lot of flak, so it’s always best to make sure you know the rules of your office.
- Distance from colleagues: While working in an office, it is essential that you provide your colleagues with the basic courtesy of being social with them at least in small amounts. Not doing so can lead to you developing a bad reputation in the office, which is something that you would certainly never want!
- Risk to health: Having headphones on during a long day at work can be hazardous to your health. If you are not careful, you might end up hurting yourself or causing yourself some serious harm, particularly to your ears.
Cleaning Your Headphones
It is very important to clean and take care of your headphones so that you can use them for an extended period of time. If you put some effort into maintaining the cleanliness of your headphones, you will find that they will last a lot longer. Besides, quite a bit of bacteria can accumulate on your headphones, so it’s a good idea to keep them clean or else you might end up giving yourself some kind of infection.
Here is a set of instructions you can use to keep your headphones clean:
- You should start by mixing soap with some warm water. This is the perfect mixture for dislodging dirt from your earphones and getting rid of a great deal of bacteria that might be on it.
- Get a soft cloth, the softest you can find, and moisten it ever so slightly with the solution. Using too much can cause moisture to enter the electronics, thus damaging them a great deal, and this is not something you want to happen.
- Once your cloth is slightly damp with the solution, gently rub it along the surface of the earbuds. The dirt will start to come off and your headphones will look cleaner than they looked before.
- The metallic portions of your headphones can sometimes get quite dirty too. If you want to clean these parts, using a lot of water is not a good idea as metal rusts. Instead, you should scrub the metal with a brush of some kind until the dirt has been dislodged. Use a damp cloth to very quickly rub the loosened dirt off and then dry the area immediately so that the water does not cause any real damage.
- If you have earbuds, these earphones are better cleaned by separating the silicon part from the actual earphone. Most in-ear headphones have a separate section made of silicon, and this is where dirt mostly gets trapped. In order to clean these earbuds, you should put some effort into using the soapy water technique. If you do this on a regular basis, you will notice that your earphones will be a lot more functional as well.
- One of the main reasons you should clean your headphones as much as possible is because you will enjoy better sound quality after doing so. When you use your earphones after cleaning, you will notice that everything is a lot clearer and crisper, and this is what provides such a brilliant response.
- Cleaning your earphones and headphones might be a bother, but if you don’t put some effort into it, you will not be able to enjoy yourself as much as you would otherwise. It’s always best to care for your electronics and by cleaning out your headphones, you will be taking care of them in the best way possible.